The Problem: Dangerous Chimneys

House-ChimneyHome Safety
Your chimney has a big responsibility. It carries toxic gas out of your home, and while doing its job, it must withstand constant attack by acid, creosote and extreme temperatures for months on end.
These conditions cause chimney damage and deterioration, and when that happens, your family’s safety is in question. The risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and house fire become very real.

Outside vs. Inside
Look at the picture on the left. Most people would not see anything wrong with this chimney.
But there is more to the story. On the inside, the chimney could be seriously damaged, and not up to safety regulations.

Old vs. New
Old-fashioned chimneys were not designed to vent modern heating appliances.
Besides, no chimney lasts forever.

The Fireplace’s Flue
This flue is servicing a fireplace, wood stove, pellet stove or other solid fuel appliance. It may have undergone a chimney fire, or have been connected to an improperly vented appliance, mis-used wood stove, or exposed to excessive moisture. A damaged flue brings the dangers of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Cracked or missing tiles
  • Joint between flue tiles not sealed
  • Eroded brick and mortar
  • Flue tiles not aligned properly
  • Excessive or glazed creosote
  • Improper chimney draft

The Furnace’s Flue
High-efficiency furnaces do not waste energy by sending heat up a chimney. As a result, temperatures in the flue drop low enough to produce condensation. This water combines with acids in the flue to create acidic moisture. Clay liners are particularly vulnerable to this acidic moisture assault.

  • Flaking plaster and/or peeling wallpaper
  • Staining on wall surfaces due to moisture
  • Excessive moisture in gas or oil flues
  • Excessive soot in oil furnace flues
  • Chimney structure deteriorating
  • Eroded or missing clay liner
  • Carbon monoxide leaking into home
  • Joint between flue tiles not sealed

Chimney Fire
Chimney fires happen when creosote builds up in the flue and ignites. These fires can rage at temperatures up to 2000 degrees and roar just inches away from your home. The intense heat alone can bring surrounding materials to the flash point, and ignite your home. Also, sparks from the fire can find their way through small cracks in the liner and quickly turn a chimney fire into a house fire.

In 2001, an estimated 18,300 reported home structure fires involving chimneys supporting solid-fueled equipment resulted in $48 million in direct property damage. (Source: NFPA)

Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas. Sometimes an early warning is flu-like symptoms, but CO can cause brain damage and death with no warning. A damaged furnace flue poses a real threat of carbon monoxide poisoning, because this gas can escape through the smallest crack. Also, a partial or complete collapse of the clay flue liner can block the flue, and quickly fill the house with deadly gas. Sadly this tragedy occurs in homes across the country every year.

In 2001, 656 people died of unintentional non-fire exposure to gases…and there have been more than 30,000 hospital emergency room injuries per year. (Source: NFPA)


The Forever Flex™ Solution

Forever Flex™ chimney liner is the ultimate solution to the problems that plague most chimneys. Modern stainless steel walls provide an airtight and watertight barrier that seals in gases and creosote.
The Evertluard™ Forever Flex™ liner is made of 100% 316Ti stainless steel. High quality stainless steel combined with Titanium creates an alloy to withstand the acidic moisture and extreme temperature fluctuations inside your chimney. Forever Flex’ will even contain a chimney fire!
(Actually, Underwriters Laboratories (UL) tested Forever Flex™; and has awarded its seal of approval. UL has declared that the Forever Flex™ system excels standards for chimney safety and can even withstand a 2100 degree chimney fire and still maintain structural integrity.)
Forever Flex™, and all EverGuard™ liners, carry the exclusive Forever Warranty™, the first warranty in the business that is transferable to the next homeowner. No fine print in this warranty, just peace of mind.