Do I Need a Certified Professional?
The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends that people take a few steps when considering which chimney sweep will perform an annual inspection or related service on their chimney or vent. Because proper care and attention to service can help protect people from unnecessary fires and carbon monoxide poisonings, it is important to choose the professional wisely. While the CSIA recommends that people consider a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep®, there are additional questions that should be asked to ensure that the person hired is a credible service technician.
- How long has the chimney sweeping company been in business?
- Does the company offer current references?
- Does the company have unresolved complaints filed within the city or state consumer protection agency or Better Business Bureau?
- Does the company or individual carry a valid business liability insurance policy to protect your home and furnishings against accidents?
- Does the company ensure that a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep will be on the job site?
To ensure that homeowners receive a certified sweep at every job, all chimney sweeping companies promoting the credential are required to have a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep Professional on every job site.
Why the CCS Credential is the Industry Standard?
What makes the CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep® credential the industry standard?
- The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) is a non-profit organization governed by volunteer industry professionals and technical experts across the country.
- The CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep® (CCS) credential was established in 1983 as a method for homeowners to measure a chimney sweep’s technical expertise.
- CSIA does more for the industry than certify chimney sweeps. CSIA’s mission includes public and professional education with a commitment to the elimination of residential chimney fires, carbon monoxide intrusion and other chimney-related hazards that result in the loss of lives and property.
- CSIA devotes its resources to educating the public and related industries through traditional and social media and its relationships with affiliated trades such as home inspectors, REALTORS and oil heating service managers.
- CSIA is the go-to source for accurate chimney safety information. CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps have been spotted on Good Morning America, Dateline and 20/20, in the New York Times, Consumer Reports and Popular Mechanics, among many other national, regional and local publications and media.
- CSIA has proven itself academically by being accredited.